If you are looking for a new interest or the chance to meet new people and support an education, scientific and conservation charity, then come and join our team of volunteers at Paignton Zoo.
How old do I need to be?
For our volunteer roles you need to be 18+ years of age as we require you to be able to volunteer unsupervised and independently under the direction of one of the many different departments that we have at the Zoo.
There is no upper age limit.
The only role that accepts volunteers between the younger ages of 14 to 18 years is the Events Team Meet and Greet School Holiday Support Volunteer role, which is only shown in the volunteer roles below when opportunities for this role are available.
Registering your interest in volunteering at Paignton Zoo
Once you have clicked on and read through the volunteer role descriptions at the bottom of this page and are interested in volunteering on a regular day every week at Paignton Zoo:
Please complete the interest form (you can use our word format or PDF format if you experience any problems), listing up to a maximum of 3 roles and on which days you can offer your time (nearly all of the activities cover a 7 day rota) as this helps with our shortlisting. Please only list roles on the interest form which are shown as having opportunities available, as shown at the bottom of this page.
As we have a limited number of opportunities, we endeavour to find people most suited to volunteering. This decision is based initially on information provided on the interest form and then through an informal discussion with potential volunteers who have been shortlisted from their interest forms.
Due to the number of interest forms received, we will only contact you if you are shortlisted to attend an informal discussion where you will be able to discuss volunteering and the role/s you are interested in with the Volunteer Co-ordinator or another member of staff. Together, if possible, we will try to find the right role for you.
If you are successful in becoming a volunteer after your informal discussion, two references will be taken up before you are able to start and you will be required to bring your passport to your induction meeting. You will also need to bring your National Insurance card or number with you.
A DBS check may be necessary for some volunteer roles. You would be advised of this as a part of the volunteer induction process.
Volunteers do not have hands-on contact with zoo animals, unless stated, but you will be volunteering in an environment where the animals are all around you.
We do not reimburse travel expenses - please register your interest only if you live within easy travelling distance of the Zoo. Our shortlisting takes into account the distance that you would have to undertake on a regular basis in order for you to carry out your volunteering.
You may also be interested in volunteering at Living Coasts in Torquay. If you would like to find out more information please visit our Volunteers at Living Coasts page.
Volunteer Roles which have opportunities available at Paignton Zoo at present:
- Meet and Greet/Mobility Scooter Support Volunteer - Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays
- Lemur Wood (Walk-through) Support Volunteer - Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays ONLY
- Gardens Support Volunteer - Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays ONLY
- ABC Fruit (Birds) Food Preparation Volunteer - Sundays ONLY
- Activity Hut Volunteer - Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays ONLY
- Animal Crackers Volunteer - Tuesdays and Thursdays ONLY
- Monkey Heights Food Preparation Volunteer - Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays ONLY
- Events Team Meet and Greet School Holiday Support Volunteer (14 to 18 years of age)
- Elephant House Food Preparation Volunteer - Saturdays ONLY
- ABC Meat (Birds) Food Preparation Volunteer - Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays ONLY
- Ranch (Walk-through) Support Volunteer - Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays ONLY
- Ape Centre Food Prep Volunteer - Sundays ONLY
- Graphics Support Volunteer - Monday to Friday ONLY
- Winged Wonders Support Volunteer - Thursdays and Fridays ONLY
- Guest Experience Volunteer (G.E.V) - EVERY DAY
- Botanical Collection Data Handling/Research Volunteer - Tuesday to Friday ONLY
- Lower Vertebrates and Invertebrates (L.V.I) Department Food Preparation Volunteer - Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays ONLY
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW!
If you'd like to stay informed of new products, events and special offers then please join our mailing lists.SIGNUP HERE