What can you do?
Our volunteer roles include:
- Meeting and greeting guests at the main entrance
- Fundraising at the soft toy tombola or by helping our visitors to make a badge or keyring of one of our animals at the Activity Hut
- Providing information about our events, feeding times, animals and conservation
- Leading talks and activities with visitors
- Interacting with visitors at our Touch Trolley
- Office-based admin and event preparation
- Helping our keepers prepare food and enrichment for our animals
- Maintaining our extensive collection of plants from around the globe
- Ensuring that our visitors interact well with our lemurs or goats in their walk-through enclosures
- Supporting events throughout the year, both in and out of the Zoo
Please note that not all of our volunteer roles will have opportunities available. Please click on the volunteer roles shown at the bottom of this page, the only roles that have opportunities available at present, to take a look at further details about each role. The role titles shown at the bottom of this page (the volunteer roles which have opportunities available) are the role titles to use when completing your interest form.
What’s in it for you?
- Knowledge that you are helping an education, scientific and conservation charity
- Helps you give something back to your local community
- An opportunity to gain valuable knowledge, experience and confidence
- Helps with your CV
- Keeps you active
- Opportunities to meet and socialise with new and like-minded people
- Access to the Zoo and regular volunteer newsletters
- Uniform and name badge
Registering your interest in volunteering at Paignton Zoo
Once you have read through the volunteer role descriptions and are interested in volunteering on a regular day every week at Paignton Zoo:
Complete the interest form, listing up to a maximum of 3 roles and on which days you can offer your time (nearly all of the activities cover a 7 day rota) as this helps with our shortlisting.
Only list roles on the interest form which are shown as having opportunities available.
Due to the volume of interest we receive you will only be contacted if you are short listed. If you are short listed you will be invited to an informal discussion on volunteering where, together, we will try to find the right role for you.
If you are successful in becoming a volunteer, you will be required to bring your passport to your induction meeting, plus a copy of the front cover, the photo page and any visa pages. You will also need to bring your National Insurance card or number with you.
You may be also be interested in volunteering at Living Coasts in Torquay. If you would like to find out more information please visit our Volunteers at Living Coasts page.
Volunteer Roles which have opportunities available at Paignton Zoo at present: